Stand up paddle boarding expeditions: Stories of adventure
List of items to consider bringing on 7-day stand up paddle boarding expeditions:
- Stand-Up Paddleboard (SUP): A high-quality SUP board that is appropriate for the conditions you will encounter during your expedition.
- Paddle: A lightweight and durable paddle that is appropriate for your size and the conditions you will encounter.
- Personal Flotation Device (PFD): A properly fitting PFD that is US Coast Guard approved and provides adequate buoyancy.
- Leash: A leash is essential for safety on the water, as it keeps you tethered to your board in case you fall off.
- Dry Bags: High-quality, waterproof bags to store your clothes, food, and other essentials. Bring enough bags to separate your gear and keep everything organized.
- Water Bottles or Hydration System: Bring enough water to last for the entire expedition. Consider bringing a hydration system or water filter to replenish your water supply.
- Sun Protection: Bring plenty of sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, and long-sleeved shirts to protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays.
- First Aid Kit: A well-stocked first aid kit with items such as bandages, antiseptic, pain relievers, and insect repellent.
- Navigation and Communication: Bring a map, compass, and/or GPS device to navigate your route. A marine radio or waterproof phone case can also be helpful for communication.
- Emergency Whistle: An emergency whistle can be used to signal for help in case of an emergency.
- Headlamp or Flashlight: Bring a waterproof headlamp or flashlight for navigating in the dark or in low light conditions.
- Food: Bring enough food to sustain yourself for the entire expedition. Consider bringing non-perishable, lightweight food items that are easy to pack and carry.
- Cooking Equipment: If you plan to cook on your expedition, bring a lightweight stove, fuel, cooking pot, utensils, and dishes.
- Shelter: Bring a lightweight tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad if you plan to camp during your expedition.
- Clothing: Bring enough clothing for the conditions you will encounter, including wetsuits, drysuits, and/or layers for warmth. Don't forget to pack extra clothing in case of unexpected weather changes or accidents.
- Repair Kit: Bring a small repair kit for your board, paddle, or other equipment in case of damage.
- Emergency Kit: Bring emergency supplies such as flares, a signal mirror, and a space blanket in case of an emergency.
Always check the weather and water conditions before heading out on your paddleboarding expedition and to let someone know your itinerary and expected return time. With the right gear and preparation, a 7-day paddleboarding expedition can be an amazing adventure.
Business' that provide stand up paddle boarding expeditions in North America
Here are some expedition guide companies in North America that offer stand up paddle boarding expeditions / trips:
- REI Adventures: REI Adventures offers a variety of paddleboarding expeditions in North America, including trips to Baja, Florida Keys, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Adventure Paddle Tours: Adventure Paddle Tours offers paddleboarding expeditions in Canada and the United States, including trips to the Great Lakes, Georgian Bay, and the Florida Keys.
- Wilderness Voyageurs: Wilderness Voyageurs offers paddleboarding trips on the Youghiogheny River in Pennsylvania and on the French Broad River in North Carolina.
- San Juan Island Outfitters: San Juan Island Outfitters offers paddleboarding trips in the San Juan Islands of Washington state.
- Jackson Hole Kayak School: Jackson Hole Kayak School offers paddleboarding expeditions on the Snake River in Wyoming.
- Paddle Canada: Paddle Canada offers a variety of paddleboarding trips and courses across Canada, including trips to the Yukon and Ontario.
- Liquid Fusion Kayaking: Liquid Fusion Kayaking offers paddleboarding expeditions in California, including trips to the Mendocino Coast and the Russian River.
- Acadia Stand Up Paddleboarding: Acadia Stand Up Paddleboarding offers paddleboarding expeditions in Maine, including trips to Acadia National Park.
- Surf the Greats: Surf the Greats offers paddleboarding trips in Canada, including trips to Georgian Bay and the Thousand Islands.
- St. Lawrence River Adventures: St. Lawrence River Adventures offers paddleboarding expeditions in Quebec, including trips to the Saguenay Fjord.
Note that this list is not exhaustive and there are many other expedition guide companies in North America that offer paddleboarding trips. It's important to do your research and choose a reputable company with experienced guides and a good safety record.
Dockslocks locking system
Tours for paddle expeditions
How to pack for multi-day SUP trips
Personal expedition story
Arctic expedition (Greenland) with an inflatable SUP. Fabulous scenery Icebergs.
You have to try this: Stand up and paddle from Vancouver to Victoria
Expedition for a cause
A documentary (35 min.) by Norm Hann to raise awareness. This is about at 400km SUP expedition along the proposed north coast oil tanker route in British Columbia.
Trailer for Polar bears and Paddle boards Documentary
Polar Bears and Paddle Boards Documentary Trailer from Polar Bears & Paddleboards on Vimeo.
back to SUP disciplines
Home – where it all started